This Middle Eastern dish is a flavor explosion in your mouth. Tender marinated meat, fresh vegetables, and a creamy sauce all wrapped up in a warm pita. It's the perfect meal for any occasion.
1 hour 30 minutes
Nutrition Per Serving
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pita breads
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and toss to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard any excess marinade.
- Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- To assemble the shawarmas, warm the pita breads in the microwave or on the grill for a few seconds. Spread a spoonful of hummus and tzatziki sauce on each pita.
- Top with the sliced chicken, chopped tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and parsley. Drizzle with additional tzatziki sauce, if desired.
- Fold the pita in half and serve immediately.
How does this recipe look?
Find your next favorite recipe with AI