Red Wine Braised Beef Stew
This hearty beef stew is slow-cooked in red wine and packed with tender chunks of beef, carrots, and potatoes. Perfect for a cozy night in!
Nutrition Per Serving
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the red wine and beef broth to the pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Stir in the tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Return the beef to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the pot and continue to simmer for an additional hour, or until the vegetables are tender and the beef is very tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
How does this recipe look?
Find your next favorite recipe with AI