Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos
These vegetarian tacos are made with jackfruit, a fruit that has a meaty texture and is perfect for replacing pork carnitas. The jackfruit is seasoned with a blend of spices and slow-cooked until tender. Serve with your favorite toppings for a delicious and healthy meal.
Nutrition Per Serving
- 2 cans of jackfruit in brine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- Toppings: diced avocado, chopped cilantro, diced onion, lime wedges
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Use your hands to shred the jackfruit into small pieces, discarding any seeds or tough pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the skillet and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the jackfruit is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, warm the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat, flipping occasionally, until they are soft and pliable.
- To assemble the tacos, spoon some of the jackfruit onto each tortilla and top with your desired toppings. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
How does this recipe look?
Find your next favorite recipe with AI